Calibrate Drone Compass before flight
Drone Compass need to be calibrate carefull
General tips to Calibrate the Drone Compass
What exact means "calibration"?
This is action of set up instruments and sensors give exact and accurate results.
Drone calibration – what this mean?
With this action you set proper settings or correct some errors. These errors may appear from inaccurate measurements. Is good to synchronize instruments with the data (true physical).
Sensors on Drone:
All drones are working with a lot of sensors – Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Barometer, Gyro etc. This sensors may become with different setting with the time due to vibrations, aging, drift, impact. These non original settings – are called Errors. With the Calibration of the drone – you erase these errors and get back the right settings. That’s why this procedure is so important. With perfect and correct settings of your drone you will avoid accidents – crashes or malfunctions.
When you need to perform Drone Calibration:
– Anytime you feel you drone is flying not correct. Even it is not reacting to your touch. In this case Calibration may help fix the problem.
– If you have been crashed.
– If your machine loose altitude. If you see any drops during flight – Calibrations is recommended . This will bring normal functions.
– If you intend to fly in different area as usual – Compass calibration is recommended too.
– After long travel time, due the vibrations – is good to perform Calibrations before fly.
– After any serious differences in the surrounding temperature.
The drone Magnetometer:
This instrument is also known like Drone Compass. It gives the correct direction of the drone. There is a microcontroller witch gives the data for the magnetic field and that provide sense of direction with the heading angle. This compass give correct direction to the drone. The magnetic field can change if you make a large distance flight.
Important note is that the Drone Compass gives proper fly direction of your drone respecting Magnetic North. This quarantee safe flight.
Some possible failures drone calibration:
– If your drone is not stable situated.
– If there is a metal near.
-If drone arms are unfolded.
– Keep in mind also:
– Compass may get detuned due any Radio Frequency (RF) or magnetic source.
– If you transport your drone near Car speakers – this may bring Compass failure.
– Avoid any Electromagnetic interference – high voltage power line or towers of phone cells.
Calibrating DJI drone
Go outside – in open area. There perform calibration.
Before start procedure – you need to remove the propellers.
– Power up the drone. After that tap Aircraft Status Bar. Select option “Calibrate”.
– You will receive message “Press start to begin compass calibration”.
– Next step is to hold your drone to make calibration.
– Hold the drone in horizontal position and rotate 360 degrees. You will receive message with the Status f the drone. If the procedure is successful the indicators will turn from Solid Yellow to Solid Green light.
– After that hold on the drone in vertical position. The nose must pointing Down.
– Rotate at 360 degrees (around centre axis). If the procedure is successful you will see again Green light to the indicator.
IMU – Inertial Measurement Unit. This include Gyroscope, Barometer, Accelerometer, Thermometer. Some models drones have separate Gyroscope calibration. In Mini drones you have option to reset the Gyro.
This device measures proper acceleration or relative to a free-fall. Also cam measure inertial. For determining the velocity of the drone it uses the data from the accelerometer. After get all data – it is transfer into the central processor witch determine direction and speed of the drone to the pilot.
If the accelerometer is not passed correct calibration this may erratic and unsafe drone flight.
This instrument is about maintaining drone’s attitude. The classic Gyroscope is a wheel with axis witch rotate free and orient itself. The new generation gyroscopes have micro-electronic and electro-mechanical structures. All this is called MEMS(Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems).
In each flight the drone faces many different forces – gravity, wind etc. They can effect drone with roll, yaw and pitch. The gyroscope is responsible to neutralisate them instantly and keep drone stable. The position of the drone is fixed at the moment.
The gyroscope also keep the correct angle and position of the drone. It send information to motor control drivers and control motor’s speed. These actions appears hundred times every second. And that’s why the drone seem to you like it is not changing position. This is the way how drones handle with the hover.
The rotation of the drone by user controls are also effect of work of the Gyroscope.
It detect drone’s and surrounding temperature. Also any changes. When you torn on your drone it IMU have to get the temperature of your last calibration. That’s why the calibration must be performed outside so the temperature will be realistic.
It measure any changes of height. Converting atmospheric pressure into altitude. The sensors detect the earth atmospheric pressure. The work of barometer bring the wish altitude.
Subscribe to receive latest news from us
Other topics you may want to read:
The news for the new drone of DJI – the Mavic Mini 3 Pro, has been circulating on the Internet for the last few weeks. The previous model of the Mini series was DJI Mini 2. It was released on 05 November 2020. Now is time for a new drone.
Are you a beginner in the world of drones? We are happy to have you here! We know it may be hard in the beginning, but we promise that you are going to have a lot of fun and great moments. Today we are going to give you some of the best tips for beginner drone pilots so you can have a safe flight!